become a usta official
- Classes are online
- CCTA pay starts at $15 per hour
- Work only the tournaments you can work/days you want to work
- On the job training/shadowing
- Travel to other cities to work if you want (we get many requests from other tennis associations looking for officials. Per Diem, hotel and hourly is typically paid)
step-by step instructions
- Create an account on OfficialsFirst , the USTA Officiating Database.
- Complete the Introduction to Officiating, Rules and Regulations, and Level 1 Roving Umpire courses.
- Be in compliance with the USTA Safe Play Program. To get started, go to www.usta.com/safeplay and click on “Get Safe Play Approved”. Log into your USTA account or create an account with the same email address that the Officiating Department has on file for you. The three steps you must complete are the annual SafeSport training, review and accept the USTA Safe Play Policy, and complete the background screen application.
- Be a USTA member.
- Submit to the USTA a physician's or optometrist's statement attesting that the official has 20/20 vision, either corrected or uncorrected in each eye. The Vision Form can be downloaded on OfficialsFirst and then uploaded to your account once completed. Please note that the Vision Form must be dated within the past 12 months.
- Contact your Section Chairperson to set up two days of on-court training/shadowing. After the two days, you will show your knowledge of basic themes described in the training checklist with the Section Chairperson. Following the approval from your Section Chairperson, Foundation 2 Certification will be added to your OfficialsFirst account and you will gain access to events on OfficialsFirst.